Saturday, November 24, 2007

From Blue Island in a Sea of Red to Illiberal Democracy in the South Pacific

Whilst researching my future temporary home I stumbled across some interesting facts, thanks to the omniscient Wikiepedia. What I am most worried about living in Singapore is living under their government -- it is a very strict and intolerant system. (You couldn't even chew gum until 2003, and even now it's only allowed if it's theraputic and you've got a prescription.) Not that I am much of a protestor or active supporter of civil liberties, but I certainly appreciate living in America for my freedom to excercise such rights. The country has also been criticized as an "illiberal democracy" -- a government whose people elect their political leaders yet are left with very little freedom, despite what the constitution may imply.

Singapore's government isn't neccesarily oppressive, but it has been criticized as being "socially rigid." Remember Michael Fay? Way back in 1994 he was an 18-year-old American who vandalized a car and was caned -- spanked with a stick, essentially -- by the Singaporean government, despite pleas from the United States government for a pardon.

So I guess that my point in this short rant is that I feel there is a very good chance I will either a.) end up in jail and not be able to come home, or b.) come home within four weeks on account of being deported. Hooray Singapore!

No comments: