Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Bintan Expenses

Exchange Rates: US$1.00 = Singapore Dollar S$1.418 = Indonesian Rupiah IDR9,226

Travel + Accomodation. From campus Quinn and I took the MRT and a bus to Tanah Meras ferry terminal, then bought round-trip tickets to Tanjung Pinang for S$47. On the way back we had to pay about S$5 for the resort to book our return ferry and then IDR13,000 for a seaport tax. Our bungalow cost a total of IDR165,000 between the two of us for one night. We also took a taxi to and from Bintan Agro Beach for IDR90,000 each time. Total = US$70

Entertainment. My massage cost me IDR290,000, not too bad for 90 minutes of awesomeness and complete rejuvenation of my skin. Other than that all we did was pay S$15 each for a boat to take us to the beach for a while. Total = US$42

Food. Super cheap! Although my second meal cost me twice as much as the menu said, and I didn't realize it until I got back to Singapore, it only amounted to US$1.30 difference. We ate two meals and got a few snacks for the ride home. Total = US$5

Gifts and Souvenirs. I bought a really cool photo frame and a few bracelets, one for myself and one for a gift. Total = US$7

Many of these figures are estimates since the exchange rate wasn't quite the same there. They accepted both the Singapore Dollar and the Indonesian Rupiah and I'm not sure what rate they used between the two. We didn't know what the rate was supposed to be and as a result probably got ripped off a few time, but all in all I don't think it amounted to much difference. So, the totals for the trip are:

Travel + Accomodation ... US$70
Entertainment ... US$40
Food ... US$5
Gifts and Souvenirs ... US$7

Grand Total = US$124

Not terrible, but still more than I would have liked to spend on a 24 hour trip, half of which was spent in the rain.

No comments: