Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Those Damn Yanks

I found an interesting post on Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree forums regarding worldly views of Americans. One poster described the "typical American" as "superficial, doesn't know anything about the outside world ("You're from Amsterdam? Yeah sure I know the place man, my old man used to be in Germany for years") and consequently doesn't respect local customs ("Unbelievable that no-one speaks English here in France/Spain/Italy etc")." I would add that the "typical American" in some ways feels that because he is American he is obligated to more liberty and "freebies" than the locals (You American! Free drink for you! No waiting in line!).

I couldn't possibly be posting this with a certain exchange student in mind, could I??

Take a look at the thread here.

No comments: