Thursday, April 24, 2008

The Voyage Home

Four months of living in Singapore has finally come to an end. So much has happened in these past four months that I never would have imagined, and I've met so many great people! I'm truly thankful for this experience and don't think I could have chosen a better place to study. Well, ok I didn't really pay much attention to school, and theres a few things I don't like about Singapore, but the region I am in is absolutely amazing. I love Southeast Asia!! The culture here is so incredibly diverse and ecelectic and the scenery is nothing short of breathtaking. I have been to many places and seen many things in this short amount of time but still feel like I'm barely scratching the surface. I know I will be back to Southeast Asia someday to explore it like it should be!!

So now I am at the airport in Singapore waiting for a flight to Ho Chi Minh City. From there I will head north through Hoi An, Hue, Hanoi, Halong Bay, and then I am planning to enter China overland from Lao Cai. Schedules and such didn't work out with my friends, unfortunately, so I decided to make the journey solo, which I am at once excited and a teeny bit nervous for. Once I enter China I'll take a bus to Kunming, then travel northwest through Dali, Lijiang, the Tiger Leaping Gorge, and Zhongdian. That's the plan, at least -- this part of China (the Yunnan province) borders Tibet and Zhongdian is pretty much the last stop before getting there. So far I haven't heard of any travel issues but you never know what could happen.

Lo and Behold, Ami and Luca just showed up at the airport, so I will have some travel buddies to hang out with for the first few days. Awesome!!

No comments: