Thursday, January 3, 2008

Getting Settled

So I don't have a computer yet (mine broke before I left the states) and I've been pretty busy, so I'm trying to catch up on everything right now. I have already taking a ton of pictures and really want to upload them but the computers at the library won't let me install the uploading tool I need right now.

I'm living in the dorms here, which they call hostels, and my roommate is another exchange student. She hasn't arrived yet but I'm told she will be here today. I haven't really been in my room much anyways but I am excited for her to finally arrive. My first day I took care of all of my registration things -- paying fees, getting my welcome packet and all that. I sat down for lunch and met some other exchange students -- one from Boston, five from Italy, and two from France. We went to the mall together to get pillows, hangers, etc. It was fun hanging out with them and very comforting to find people to hang out with immediately. We spent a couple of hours at the mall, and as soon as I finished putting my things away when I got back to my room I fell asleep. I was hoping to fall asleep for a few hours so that I could go to the library when I woke up to use the computer, but I slept for almost 12 hours. I woke up once around 11 and tried to stay up for a little while but was very unsuccessful. I didn't have trouble staying alseep but it wasn't a very relaxing night. I had some crazy dreams and had a very hard time getting out of bed -- I literally could barely move my muscles or open my eyes, even when I forced myself.

When I finally did get up it was pretty early -- 6:00 in the morning. I explored campus for a while, which by the way, is gorgeous! There are palm trees, plants, and flowers everywhere. The buildings are very open and many of the hallways are outdoors. It rains here just about every day -- usually just a light sprinkle -- so most of the walkways are covered. I went to the orientation session and met some more students, then went back to the mall with some others to get a few things I missed yesterday.

Everyone here is very nice, and the exchange students are all very friendly. I've made quite a few friends so far and am really enoying it! We are all in the same boat here -- most people don't know anybody, and everyone is so new to the area and is open to anything! We all want to travel a lot, so we're hoping to get a class schedule that is open on Fridays so that we can travel every weekend.

No comments: